Approved May 13, 2004
A Spanish Task Force oversaw the development of a Spanish Collection
in 2002-2003, due to the need to provide non-English materials for
a growing Hispanic population.
The Task Force decided that the same criteria for all selections
would apply to the Spanish Collection. Thus the Children’s Department
chooses for the juvenile collection, the Reference Department selects
nonfiction, the Circulation Department selects fiction and audiovisual
material, and the Extension Department selects for the Wright Branch Library. The Spanish Collection currently houses fiction, nonfiction
and audiovisual together, in both the adult and children's areas at Campbell County Public Library and Wright Branch Library.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- availability of materials.
- circulation statistics.
- shelf space.
- budget constraints.
- patron requests.
- Titles in popular demand are retained.
- Current topical interest titles are retained.
- Titles in a series are generally retained.
- Damaged titles or titles in poor condition are weeded.
- Titles that have not circulated in three years are weeded.