Wide Web Sites
Revised January 2003
The library maintains a web site to highlight and promote the library
with its wide variety of services and events as well offer some selected
outbound links. Outbound links are selected to provide more current and
esoteric material than what is available at the library or to enrich,
broaden, and complement other library collections.
Promotion of the library and its services will be closely coordinated
with the Public Relations office.
A Web Team will be assigned to regularly critique and review the
library web site. The team will consist of the six Librarians/Library
Managers, the Webmaster, the Public Information Specialist, and
may include additional staff members as needed.
The library's web site will be developed with the following criteria
- visually appealing (clean and simple)
- well organized, easy to understand, use, and navigate
- quick loading time
- current and accurate information
- text that is grammatically correct with no spelling errors
Promotions of library services and events will be closely coordinated
with the Public Relations office. Public Relations will provide the Web
Master with copies of all promotional materials (i.e. PSA's, newsletters,
graphics) so the web site reflects the same timely information and graphics.
Each library web page will be tested for accessibility by people with
disabilities and must meet minimum specification for access.
Selected outbound links will be chosen using the following criteria:
- Sites should, in general, originate from the creating or responsible
institution, not a third party.
- Sites should be current, preferably with an updated date statement
and e-mail address available.
- Sites should not incur user fees.
- Sites should have limited or no advertising.
- Selected outbound link sites should meet all criteria as stated for
the Library's web site.
- Informational, educational, and recreational needs of the community
- Usage statistics
- Changes in web technology
- Each library web page will be tested in the two most common browsers
(three most current versions) prior to publishing.
- The Web Team will meet monthly and review/critique assigned web pages
to ensure they meet the criteria listed in the development plan.
- Outbound links will be regularly tested and removed when they no longer
meet the criteria listed in the development plan.
- Each library web page will be tested for accessibility by people with
disabilities and must meet minimum specifications for access.