Philosophy & Psychology
The philosophy collection is small. It includes works of
major Western thinkers and some popular sources on philosophical issues.
Psychology and paranormal sources are represented in greater number. In
the psychology collection, emphasis is on popular thought with a core
of works by major figures.
- 100 Philosophy and psychology. Generally, a small survey of
philosophy with some development of Western thought is maintained. Minimally
developed is the collection of Eastern thought sources. Academic sources
addressing specific branches of philosophy are avoided. General overview
sources for psychology are developed. It is essential to be selective
when choosing among the many sources concerning social psychology.
- 110 Metaphysics. A small collection with a Western, popular
sources emphasis is maintained.
- 120 Epistemology, causation, humankind. A small collection
of secondary sources of a popular nature and philosophy of cognition
- 130 Paranormal phenomena. Since this is a high interest collection,
all aspects of the paranormal are heavily developed and maintained.
Sources are kept current with new aspects and figures. Established subjects
are maintained and developed by a representation of fresh sources.
- 140 Specific philosophical schools. A small collection is maintained,
covered generally by core sources in 100, but some judicious purchasing
is appropriate if interesting titles appear.
- 150 Psychology. Since this is a high interest collection, emphasis
on popular sources of applied psychology on diverse topics is maintained.
Also maintained is some emphasis on social psychology and a basic core
of works by major figures.
- 160 Logic. A small collection of popular sources is maintained.
- 170 Ethics (moral philosophy). A small collection of popular
sources on diverse topics is maintained with continued emphasis on bio-ethics.
- 180 Ancient, medieval, Oriental philosophy. A small collection
is maintained, though with some minimal development, especially of Eastern
- 190 Modern Western philosophy. A core of works by important
figures is maintained with room for some development of analytical/comparative
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- shelf space.
A core of major thought in the philosophy collection is
retained. Sources are weeded as they become worn. The philosophy collection
is not age dated as it represents the standard reflection of world philosophies,
not current popular thought.
- Bio-ethics sources are weeded to keep up with current issues.
- Popular sources of psychology are weeded every eight to ten years,
but works of established writers are retained.
- Popular sources of paranormal topics are weeded moderately every five
to six years, but older sources about significant persons or phenomena