Revised August 2012
This is a wide ranging and varied class. Within this class, the most
extensive individual collection is comprised of cookbooks of which there
is a large assortment and quantity (In 1989, the Library received the
entire Wyoming State Library cookbook collection at no cost.) This collection is heavily influenced by electronic sources, especially in 629 automotive repair.
- 600 Technology (Applied science). A collection of surveys of
inventions and technology, both of which are popular school assignment
topics, is developed and maintained. The invention/patents collection
is developed and maintained. A small collection of technical drawing
sources and a small collection of information on hazardous materials
- 610 Medical sciences. This is a very large collection targeting
the many classes in medicine.
- Sources with an emphasis on contemporary issues are developed
- Some nursing sources are maintained as needed.
- An anatomy collection is minimally developed.
- A collection of sources on child development and sex education
is developed and maintained.
- A collection of general health sources in nutrition, weight loss,
physical fitness, birth control, and sexual hygiene and behavior
is developed and maintained.
- Forensic medicine sources are minimally developed.
- Sources on pharmacology are minimally developed.
- Sources on alternative medicine are developed as this topic is
popular and is becoming more widely acceptable.
- Drug information is developed and maintained.
- A wide-ranging collection covering many diseases in which currency
is vital is developed and maintained.
- Miscellaneous branches of medicine including but not limited to
general surgery, cosmetic surgery, sports medicine, orthopedics,
dentistry, vision, and hearing are all minimally developed.
- A large collection on pregnancy and childbirth and on pediatric
medicine is developed and maintained.
- Sources on experimental medicine are minimally developed.
- 620 Engineering and allied operations. This is a large and
- Developed and maintained are areas of emphasis in applied physics
such as computer-assisted design, electricity, electronics, communication
equipment and computers. Books in these subjects cover both theory
and subject overview as well as how-to build/repair sources.
- Books on alternative heating energy sources are maintained.
- Mining engineering sources for prospecting, as well as some for
oil and coal mining, are maintained.
- Sources on combat and military vehicles are maintained.
- A small building construction collection including sources on
wells for home owners is maintained.
- A small collection on home safety is maintained.
- A small collection on model railroading is maintained.
- Broad aviation coverage is maintained.
- A large automotive collection with histories as well as repair
manuals is maintained.
- A collection of other land vehicles sources stressing subject
overview and repair is maintained.
- In-depth space flight and robotics coverage is developed and maintained.
- 630 Agriculture and related technologies. A collection with
an emphasis on self-sufficient living, animal husbandry (encompassing
both pets and livestock), and gardening is maintained.
- 640 Home economics and family living. The cookbook collection
is developed and maintained. Also developed and maintained are sources
on general household and housekeeping issues, house buying, repairs
and renovation, entertaining, sewing, personal grooming, bed and breakfasts,
and other alternative lodging/dining accommodations. Child rearing and
parenting sources are developed and maintained.
- 650 Management and auxiliary services. A large collection with
an emphasis on business applications and software sources is developed
and maintained. Business topics encompassing office skills, accounting,
and particularly focusing on management are heavily developed and maintained.
Resume and job-hunting guides are heavily developed and maintained.
- 660 Chemical engineering and related technologies. A very small
collection with an emphasis on biotechnology is maintained. A collection
with some emphasis on technology of fuel is maintained, only developing
as new sources appear on coal and oil.
- 670 Manufacturing. A small collection with primary emphasis
on welding sources is maintained. Wood, metalworking, and textiles sources
- 680 Manufacture for specific uses. A diverse, popular
collection is maintained on clocks, blacksmithing, guns and gunsmithing,
woodworking, furniture, recreational topics, toys, outdoor gear,
and fly tying sources.
- 690 Buildings. A smaller but popular collection, it is developed
and maintained with emphasis on home building, plumbing, and alternative
heating and energy conservation sources.
- Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- utilization of specialized bibliographies.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- shelf space.
- availability of new titles.
- The collection of medical sources should be kept current; therefore,
the holdings in the medical field are kept up-to date, no older than
three to five years in most cases.
- Technology is an area that also displays much possible crossover with
related subject fields; however, the sources are kept current enough
to provide accurate information.
- This class contains subjects in which information is quickly dated
or even proven wrong, as well as subjects where information is nearly
timeless (cookbooks). Therefore, aggressive weeding occurs in the more
time-sensitive areas to ensure the availability of accurate, up-to-date
information, while in other areas, retention is based more on condition
and level of use.