This collection provides materials concerning the beliefs, attitudes,
and practices of individuals and groups with respect to the ultimate nature
of existence and relationships within the context of revelations, deity,
and worship. The collection's emphasis is on sources relating to the Bible
and mythology. Overall a small collection, but circulating nonfiction
collection sources provide excellent support.
Other areas of Christianity are generally of greater specificity than
community interest warrants; in these subjects, briefer overview sources
provide a small but solid grounding in Christianity.
- R 200 Religion. Not developed.
- R 210 Natural religion. (i.e., religious beliefs and attitudes
attained through observation and interpretation of evidence in nature,
through speculation, through reasoning, but not through revelation).
- R 220 Bible. A small mature collection of general Bible reference
sources (dictionary, concordance, analytical material, a few different
editions of the Bible, atlas) is maintained.
- R 230 Christian theology. Minimally developed.
- R 240 Christian moral and devotional theology. Minimally developed.
- R 250 Local Christian church and Christian religious orders.
- R 260 Christian social and ecclesiastical theology. Minimally
- R 270 Historical, geographic, persons treatment of organized Christian
church (Church history). Although minimally developed, an emphasis
on American Christianity sources is maintained.
- R 280 Denominations and sects of the Christian church. Minimally
- R 290 Comparative religion and religions other than Christianity.
A collection of overviews of world religions, world mythology (with
Greek and Roman emphasis), and sacred texts of major world religions
is maintained. The collection of sacred texts of major world religions
requires future development. Other Eastern religion sources are minimally
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- shelf space.
- A small hymnal collection is retained.