Revised August 2012
This collection consists of adult fiction and nonfiction, young
adult fiction and nonfiction, and junior fiction and nonfiction
books recorded on CDs, MP3s or Playaways, as well as downloadable audio books. Book recordings are purchased
in unabridged and abridged formats. The fiction collection includes
classics and popular fiction. The nonfiction collection covers a
range of subject areas including best-sellers, instructional, self-improvement,
The primary goal of this collection is to provide fiction and nonfiction audiobooks
that meet the educational and recreational
needs of the community. In order to meet these goals, the Library:
- strives to provide a broad range of recorded books to meet the
variety of likes and tastes of all patrons.
- strives to provide a balanced collection of popular and classic
book recordings in both fiction and nonfiction areas.
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge
and popularity of the author or title. Patron requests are given
serious consideration and added to the collection as warranted
and as budget allows.
- strives to use dependable distributors of unabridged audio books
to ensure replacement opportunities.
- purchases multiple copies of popular titles where patron demand
warrants and as budget allows.
Patron demand and interest level dictate a strong collection of
current popular book recordings. Purchases and buying patterns are
determined in large part by:
- durability and sturdy packaging of reputable distributors.
- patron requests.
- circulation statistics.
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
- new works.
Informal weeding takes place continuously as book recordings are
checked for damage as they are circulated and/or shelved. The following
criteria are considered when making the decision to retain, replace,
- significance and relevance to current classification holdings
- presence of multiple copies in the collection
- availability of new works
- titles in a series
- circulation statistics
- age and physical condition
- shelf space