Revised August 2012
This collection consists of CDs and downloadable music covering a wide variety
of music. The collection includes, but is not limited to classical,
country, rock, jazz, popular, vocal, orchestral, instrumental, band,
electronic and mechanical music, movie soundtracks, folk, ethnic,
holiday, and sound effects.
The primary goal of this collection is to meet the cultural, informational,
educational, and recreational needs of adults and young adults by
providing a balanced and representative collection of all types
and formats of music. In order to meet these goals, the Library:
- strives to provide a broad music selection to meet the variety
of likes and tastes of all patrons.
- strives to use dependable distributors to ensure replacement
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge
and popularity of the artist or title. Patron requests are given
serious consideration and added to the collection as warranted
and as budget allows.
- purchases multiple copies of popular titles where patron demand
warrants and as budget allows.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- patron requests.
- circulation statistics.
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
Informal weeding takes place continuously as CDs
are checked for damage as they are circulated and/or shelved. The
following criteria are considered when making the decision to retain,
replace, or weed:
- significance and relevance to current classification holdings
- presence of multiple copies in the collection
- availability of new works
- titles in a series
- circulation statistics
- age and physical condition
- shelf space
- dated materials