Revised March 2012
This collection consists of nonfiction and fiction DVDs
in a wide variety of general subjects for all ages.
- The intended audience includes seventh grade to adult.
- Nonfiction DVDs are categorized and
shelved according to the Dewey Decimal System.
- Fiction DVDs are categorized and shelved according to the genre (TV, Movie, Anime) and title.
- All general subjects are purchased.
- Feature films and plays are selected with special emphasis
on classics, long-term popular films, musicals, and award winners.
- Selections acquired for young adult patrons have an emphasis
on current, popular themes that contribute to the development
and pleasure of this age group.
- The intended audience includes preschool to sixth grade.
- Nonfiction DVDs are categorized
and shelved as Easy and Junior Nonfiction. Selections are intended
to be useful and relevant to children's everyday needs, interests,
and activities. Subjects include a wide variety of general topics
with emphasis on children's developmental needs and mental growth.
Concept films, folk tales, and fairytales are included.
- Fiction DVDs are categorized
and shelved as Easy and Junior Fiction. Popular and feature
films, adaptations of children's books (i.e., Berenstain Bears,
Clifford, Ramona), and Walt Disney films are included.
The primary goal of this collection is to provide the resources
and services necessary to meet the educational, recreational, cultural,
and informational needs of the community. The collection is intended
to complement, rather than compete with, local video rental stores
by offering a different collection focus. In order to meet these
goals, the Library:
- strives to provide a broad range of DVDs
to meet the variety of likes and needs of all patrons.
- strives to provide a collection of high quality performances
and accurate content to meet the needs and enjoyment of the DVD's
- evaluates DVD programs as
a whole and not on the basis of particular scenes or segments.
A DVD will not be excluded
from the collection because it presents all aspects of life honestly
or because it exhibits frankness of expression.
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge
and popularity of the DVD.
Patron requests are given serious consideration and added to the
collection as warranted and as budget allows.
- evaluates the currency and timeliness of the material. DVDs
on rapidly changing or ephemeral subjects are not purchased.
- purchases multiple copies of popular titles when patron demand
warrants and as budget allows.
- purchases DVDs where commercialism
is minimal, not distracting from theme or content.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- patron requests.
- circulation statistics.
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
Informal weeding takes place continuously as DVDs
are checked as they are circulated and/or shelved. The following
criteria are considered when making the decision to retain, replace,
- significance and relevance to current classification holdings
- presence of multiple copies
- availability of new works
- titles in a series
- circulation statistics
- age and physical condition
- shelf space