Revised August 2012
This collection provides introductory information on the English
language. Grammar rules, picture dictionaries, children's thesauri,
alphabet, vocabulary, and sign language books geared for children
are provided. Major European languages such as German, French, Spanish,
and Italian are represented in dual language formats. A small collection of Asian languages is being developed to meet the interest needs in Japanese and Chinese. No dictionaries
of languages other than English are provided. This collection is
not a resource for students of languages.
This collection seeks to offer introductory information on the
English language and the major European languages. Some areas such
as Latin and Hellenic languages are out of the scope for development
and are not included in this collection because they do not present
information at lower comprehension and reading levels. For the younger
patron, the aim is to provide:
- introductory information on the English language.
- sign language books geared for use by children.
- introductory information on the major European languages, preferably
in dual format.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- reading level.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- shelf space.
- visual appeal.
- Titles in this collection are generally very basic and do not
- Titles with child appeal that continue to be used are considered
- Physically worn materials are replaced or updated.
- Books are withdrawn due to damage, loss, and general interest
level as evidenced by circulation figures.
- Titles with multiple copies are checked for usage, and duplicate
copies are withdrawn as demand decreases.