Revised August 2012
This collection consists of materials about people from all walks of
life and from the earliest times to the present. Some people of interest
to young children are United States historical figures, presidents, generals,
Indian chiefs, American inventors and renowned citizens.
The collection strives to meet the needs of outside reading for school
assignments such as book reports. Occasionally duplicate copies are purchased
to satisfy patron demand, but, in general, single copies are sufficient.
The primary goal of this collection is to provide accurate and interesting
information about a wide variety of people. In order to meet this goal,
- strives to present a broad range of subject interests at varying reading
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge and
popularity of the author or title.
- purchases new works to reflect patron demand and to maintain a well-balanced
and broad collection.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- reading level.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- shelf space.
- visual appeal.
- Books are withdrawn due to damage, loss, and general interest level
as evidenced by circulation figures.
- Titles with child appeal that continue to be used are considered for
- Titles with multiple copies are checked for usage, and duplicate copies
are withdrawn as demand decreases.
- Physically worn materials are replaced or updated.