Revised August 2012
This collection primarily exists to help staff fulfill the informational
and educational needs of patrons (adults or children). Children and adults
also utilize this collection to find materials and answers to their questions.
Some materials on children's literature are unique to the reference collection
in the Children's Department such as indices to children's songs and poetry,
bibliographies and guides to children's literature, and biographical sets
of children's authors and illustrators. This part of the collection responds
to the needs of children's literature students and teachers seeking guidance.
A complete collection of Caldecott and Newbery award winners are important
components of this collection. These award winners are often used as a
browsing source by young patrons and adults seeking read aloud books.
This collection is minimal and limited to specific areas of development.
This collection is to represent
and enhance the subject of children's literature for the wide range of
patrons pursuing information in this genre. The collection has been down sized due to space constraints and the increase of databases at appropriate reading level for youth.
In order to meet these goals,
- strives to provide a wide range of basic reference tools with lower
reading levels included.
- strives to provide complete collections of Caldecott and Newbery award
- evaluates new supplements to existing standard guides to children's
literature and authors, and adds them to the collection as warranted.
- intricate and older pop-up books are collected in both fiction and non-fiction for patrons to look at in the library.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- Caldecott and Newbery award winners.
- availability of supplements or updates to existing standard guides.
- reading level.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- visual appeal.
- Caldecott and Newbery award winning titles are always retained.
- Reference tools are replaced and supplemented as needed to maintain
- Books are withdrawn due to damage and loss.