This collection is comprised of titles meeting the
recreational and educational needs of students with third through
sixth grade reading levels. Books include popular as well as classic
selections in such areas as mystery, sports, science fiction, adventure,
humor, historical fiction, and novels about the problems of contemporary
boys and girls. The books may have illustrations, but the concepts,
style, and treatment of the text are considered as significant criteria
in the selection process. These books cover a wide range of subjects,
themes, life situations, and developmental tasks. A variety of characters,
settings, and writing styles are represented with difficulty ranging
from simple stories to books for a sophisticated reader with a large
vocabulary, wide literary knowledge, and higher reading skills.
The collection strives to meet the needs of outside
reading for school assignments such as book reports and the reading
aloud needs of teachers and parents. Students of children's literature
should find the core of recommended titles available in the collection.
The primary goal of this collection is to provide
leisure reading material to grade school children who have begun
to master the skill of reading and are ready to read novels or chapter
books. In order to meet this goal, the Library:
- strives to provide a wide range of reading levels from third
grade through sixth grade.
- strives to provide a balanced collection of current popular
titles and core materials.
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge
and popularity of the author or title. Patron requests are given
serious consideration and added to the collection as warranted
and as budget allows.
- purchases multiple copies of popular titles where patron demand
warrants and as budget allows.
- purchases multiple copies of Indian Paintbrush and Newbery award
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large
- reading level.
- patron requests.
- circulation statistics.
- titles in a series.
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
- visual appeal.
- Newbery and Indian Paintbrush award winners and works of well-recognized
contemporary authors are retained in duplicate.
- Books are kept as long as they are in readable condition and
continue to circulate.
- Titles are replaced and supplemented based on demand.
- Donations are frequently used to replace worn or damaged popular