Revised August 2012
This collection provides patrons with stories on both on both CD and Playaway.
Classics of children's
literature and recommended popular easy and junior fiction works are collected. The audience
for this collection is the pre-school through sixth grade child.
The primary goal of this collection is to provide book recordings that
meet the educational and recreational needs of the young patron. In order
to meet these needs, the Library:
- strives to provide a core collection of recommended easy and junior fiction titles.
- titles may be collected in both formats.
- strives to use dependable distributors of unabridged audio books to
ensure replacement opportunities.
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge and
popularity of the author or title. Patron requests are given serious
consideration and added to the collection as warranted and as budget
- purchases multiple copies of titles where patron demand warrants and
as budget allows.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- durability and sturdy packaging provided by reputable distributors.
- reading level.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- shelf space.
- Informal weeding takes place continuously as items are checked
for damage as they are circulated and/or shelved.
- Circulation statistics are the principle deciding factor in
the replacement or withdrawal of a title from the collection.
- As this collection continues to expand, shelf space, as well
as circulation counts and new technology, will be factors to consider
in the weeding process.