This collection contains materials to support the recreational, informational,
and educational needs of children through grade six. The collection focus
is on current popular magazines.
The magazines are evaluated annually for popularity and use. The primary
objective is to keep the collection current to satisfy children's needs
and interests. Consideration may be given to cancellation of more marginal,
little-used titles to make room for titles which would add more depth
to the collection. Magazines are collected in English only.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- topics of interest to children.
- reading level.
- availability of new titles.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- shelf space.
- Back issues of some titles are kept for varying lengths of time depending
upon indexing and department needs.
- No attempt is made to replace lost or damaged magazines.
- Usage is continually evaluated and titles not used are weeded so that
new magazines can be acquired.