Revised August 2012
This collection consists of CDs covering a wide variety of music. Children's folk songs and dances are
perennial favorites, along with certain established children's performers.
Disney titles and Sesame Street sing-alongs are very popular. The audience
for this collection is the pre-school through sixth grade child.
The primary goal of this collection is to provide music and miscellaneous
recordings that meet the educational and recreational needs of the young
patron. In order to meet these needs, the Library:
- strives to provide a broad range of titles to meet the likes and tastes
of young patrons.
- strives to use dependable distributors to ensure replacement opportunities.
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge and
popularity of the artist or title. Patron requests are given serious
consideration and added to the collection as warranted and as budget
- purchases multiple copies in both formats of popular titles when patron
demand warrants and as budget allows.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- shelf space.
- visual appeal.
- Informal weeding takes place continuously as materials are checked
as they are circulated and/or shelved.
- Circulation statistics continue to be the principle deciding factor
in the replacement or withdrawal of a title from the collection.
- As this collection continues to expand, shelf space, as well as circulation
counts and new technology, will be factors to consider in the weeding