Revised August 2012
This collection consists of adult fiction and nonfiction, young
adult fiction and nonfiction, junior fiction and nonfiction (audience
level third through sixth grade child), and children's easy fiction
and nonfiction (audience level pre-school through second grade child).
Books recorded on CD or in other audio format are purchased
in unabridged format. The fiction collection includes
classics and popular fiction. The nonfiction collection covers a
range of subject areas including best-sellers, instructional, self-improvement,
and language. Classics of children's literature and recommended
easy-fiction works are collected. Some recordings may include an
The primary goal of this collection is to provide fiction and nonfiction
books in an audio format. In order to meet these goals, the Library:
- strives to provide a selection of recorded books to meet the
variety of likes and tastes of patrons.
- evaluates patron requests either through reviews, or knowledge
and popularity of the author or title. Patron requests are given
serious consideration and added to the collection as warranted
and as budget allows.
- strives to provide a core collection of recommended easy-fiction
titles and classics of children's literature.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- shelf space.
- access to a fully developed collection at the main library.
- Informal weeding takes place continuously as items are checked
for damage as they are circulated and/or shelved.
- Circulation statistics, condition, and new technology are the
principle deciding factor in the replacement or withdrawal of
a title from the collection.