Revised August 2012
This collection consists of nonfiction and fiction DVDs and Blu-Ray discs in a variety of generalized
subjects for all ages.
- The intended audience includes seventh grade
- Selections are
categorized and shelved according to the Dewey Decimal System.
- All general subjects are purchased.
- Award winning and selected current popular films are also collected.
- The intended audience includes preschool to
- Nonfiction selections
are categorized and shelved according to the Dewey Decimal
System as Easy and Junior Nonfiction. Subjects include children's
developmental needs and mental growth. Concept films, folk
tales, and fairytales are also included.
- Fiction selections
are shelved as Easy and Junior Fiction. Adaptations of children's books (i.e., Berenstein Bears,
Clifford), Walt Disney films, and selected current popular films are included.
The primary goal of this collection is to provide the resources
and services necessary to meet the educational, recreational, cultural,
and informational needs of the community. In order to meet this
goal, the Library:
- considers opinions of qualified reviewers in recognized, authoritative
- purchases award winning selections
as recognized by critical organizations, institutes or associations.
- purchases popular selections appearing
on Public Television networks.
- considers patron requests.
- purchases in various formats.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- patron requests.
- circulation statistics.
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
- access to a fully developed collection at the main library.
Informal weeding takes place continuously as audiovisual
items are checked for damage as they are circulated and/or
shelved. The following criteria are considered when making the decision
to retain, replace, or weed:
- availability of new works
- circulation statistics
- age and physical condition
- shelf space
- titles in a series
- availability in new format