Fiction - Adult
Revised August 2012
The collection covering adult books consists of, but is not limited
to, popular best sellers, critically-acclaimed first time authors,
short stories, historical fiction, Christian fiction, adventure, spy/espionage, thriller/suspense,
psychological suspense, family saga, horror, and classics in both print and digital formats. The following
genres are also part of this collection:
- Science Fiction
The primary goal of this collection is to provide leisure reading
materials and literary classics to adults. Classics are those titles
that have an enduring quality and have withstood the test of time.
In order to meet this goal, the Library:
- strives to provide a broad range of reading materials to meet
the variety of likes and tastes of all patrons.
- strives to provide a balanced collection of popular reading
materials found in all genres and a core collection of classical
- evaluates patron requests either through book reviews, or knowledge
and popularity of the author. Patron requests are given serious
consideration and added to the collection as warranted and as
- purchases selected fiction titles appearing on the New York
Times best-seller list without the benefit of a review knowing
that there is a heavy demand for these titles.
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- best seller listings, award winning selection lists, and general
- circulation statistics.
- shelf space.
- budget constraints.
- patrons' requests.
- availability of a fully developed collection at the main library.
Materials generally retained in the fiction collection consist
- titles in a series.
- titles in popular demand.
- regional authors.
- literary classics.
Materials generally weeded from this collection consist of:
- books in poor condition
- titles that have not circulated in three years
- duplicate titles