Nonfiction - Adult
Revised August 2012
This collection encompasses both adult and young adult titles.
Balance in the collection is determined by use, statistics, and
demand. The Library selects materials that meet the needs of a public
diverse in age and educational background. This collection is heavily influenced by electronic sources.
The Library develops a collection that takes into consideration
currency, content, scope, and popularity. Some areas have very little
development due to low demand.
- 000 Generalities. A small collection encompassing library
related sources for periodicals, government publications, computer
science, encyclopedic works, and journalism is maintained. Rare
books are not collected.
- 100 Philosophy, occultism and psychology. Maintained
are wide-ranging selections pertaining to paranormal phenomena.
- 200 Religion. A small collection on world religions,
denominations (Christian based), and mythology is maintained.
- 300 Social sciences. Directories, statistical factual
information with a world emphasis, and encyclopedic sources are
maintained. Also maintained is a small collection emphasizing
the social service area, continuing education sources, and communication
skills with minimal development in folklore and world customs.
- 400 Language. Dictionaries and structural systems for
grammar usage with emphasis on the English language are maintained.
- 500 Natural sciences and mathematics. Calendar information,
world atlas information, and selections pertaining to natural
history, physical sciences, and mathematics are maintained.
- 600 Technology. Sources emphasizing contemporary issues
in medicine are developed and maintained. A small collection of
automotive, space flight, livestock industry, and computer science
selections is maintained. Sources emphasizing cooking and the
"how to" areas of building and construction are developed
- 700 The arts. The arts and crafts section is developed
and maintained. A small collection of photography and music sources
are maintained. Antique price guides for collectibles, and selections
for the numismatic (postage stamp) enthusiast are developed and
- 800 Literature. A small core collection of American and
world literature criticism geared toward student assignments is
- 900 Geography, history, and biographies. Sources emphasizing
geography and travel sources are maintained. A limited historical
section with an emphasis on Wyoming history and Campbell County
- Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- budget constraints.
- shelf space.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- availability of a fully developed collection at the main library.
- interlibrary loan requests.
- patron requests.
- Dated materials are weeded, with consideration given for historical
- Physically worn materials are repaired, rebound, replaced, or
- Low circulating items are weeded to provide shelf space for