Revised August 2012
This collection provides leisure reading materials for junior high
age patrons, offers teachers resources for classroom use, and offers
a selection of materials that meet book report assignment needs.
Students of children's literature can find a representation of core
young adult literature. Senior high school patrons, in general,
are reading in the Adult Fiction collection.
For this collection to serve the young adults of the community,
it must provide:
- a wide range of reading levels, from fourth grade to adult.
- a representation of the following genres: Westerns, Science
Fiction, Romance, Mystery, as well as award-winning titles, such as the Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature.
- a balanced collection of current popular titles and core materials.
- Multiple copy needs are met currently using a lease program that has helped with space issues.
Bibliographies from credible sources, such as ALA's Best
Books for Young Adults and ALA's Quick Picks for Teens
are used extensively as collection development tools.
- Patron requests are given serious consideration.
- Available space determines further collection development.
- Since teens prefer paperbacks, this format is primarily purchased.
- Soaring Eagle Award books, sponsored by the Wyoming Library
Association and the Wyoming State Reading Council, are purchased
- Some titles already in the adult fiction collection are duplicated
if there is a demand for the title and it is reviewed for young
- Newbery titles are occasionally purchased, but no effort is
made to provide all such titles since many are written for younger
readers and all Newbery titles are available in the Junior Fiction
- Books in poor condition are weeded.
- Titles in a series are retained.
- Titles listed in the Middle School and Junior High Catalog
- Books with low circulation are weeded.