The area of generalities is out of the scope of the Young Adult collection
so only a few topics are collected.
Development is limited to interest in extraterrestrials, some information
about the Internet, (its historical development and the controversial
issues regarding its use), and general library information of historical
interest. No encyclopedias, serial publications, manuscripts or rare books
are collected. Magazines are developed and housed as a separate unclassed
While this area of collection is not of general interest to young adults
which is reflected by the minimal number of books cataloged here, purchases
and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- limited availability of material for young adults meeting the criteria
of visual appeal and appropriate vocabulary.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- present and potential relevance to the community.
- shelf space.
- Specific areas of interest are kept current, such as information about
extraterrestrials and Internet topics.
- Books should be no older than ten years.