Revised August 2012
This area is minimally developed since it depends on the more comprehensive
coverage of the Adult nonfiction collection.
This collection provides biographical and autobiographical information
about important historical and significant contemporary figures. The major
interest of young adults in biographies or autobiographies is to meet
- Sources on major historical and contemporary figures are maintained.
- Sources on authors who write for young adults are developed and maintained.
- Sources on inventors both historical and current are developed and
- Biographies of young adults with historical or social interest are
Purchases and buying patterns are determined in large part by:
- limited availability of material for young adults meeting the criteria
of visual appeal and appropriate vocabulary.
- electronic/Internet sources availability.
- new works.
- budget constraints.
- circulation statistics.
- patron requests.
- present and potential relevance to young adult patrons.
- shelf space.
- Books on world figures are weeded as their subjects pass into American
- Works on popular figures which might be used for school reports are
- Young adult biographies of significant figures should be retained.