Book Awards and Book Lists
The Wyoming Library Association and the Wyoming State Reading Council sponsor three book awards for books chosen by grades K-12 readers. Nominations are solicited by teachers and librarians directly from the students, and the students choose the winners.
The latest winners, current nominees, and lists of past winners for each award can be found here:
National Awards and Book Lists:
- Batchelder Award - Citation awarded to an American publisher for a children's book considered to be the most outstanding of those books originally published in a foreign language in a foreign country, and subsequently translated into English and published in the United States.
- Belpré Medal - Presented to a Latino/Latina writer and illustrator whose work best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth.
- Caldecott Medal - Awarded annually to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- Carnegie Medal - Honors outstanding video productions for children.
- Coretta Scott King Award - Awarded annually to authors and illustrators of African descent whose distinguished books promote an understanding and appreciation of the "American Dream."
- Dartmouth Medal - Honors the creation of a reference work of outstanding quality and significance. "Creation" of reference works may include, but not be limited to, writing, compiling,editing, or publishing books or electronic information.
- Margaret A. Edwards Award - Honors an author as well as a specific body of their work for lifetime contribution in writing books of enduring popularity with teenagers.
- Michael L. Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Literature - Honors excellence in literature written for young adults.
- Newbery Medal - Awarded annually to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- Sibert Medal - Presented annually to the author of the most distinguished informational book published during the preceding year.
- Wilder Medal - The Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal, which honors an author or illustrator whose books, published in the United States, have made, over a period of years, a substantial and lasting contribution to literature for children.
- Alex Awards - Given annually to ten books written for adults that have special appeal to young adults.
- Best Books for Young Adults - A compilation of the current year’s books with proven or potential appeal to teens.
- Children's Notable List - The best of the best in children's books, recordings, videos, and computer software.
- Great Graphic Novels for Teens - YALSA's newest list and is an annual list of recommended graphic novels which have teen appeal.
- Notable Books for Adults - Annual list of 25 very good, very readable, and at times very important fiction, nonfiction, and poetry books for the adult reader.
- Outstanding Books for the College Bound - Updated every five years, this comprehensive list provides reading recommendations to students who plan to continue their education beyond high school.
- Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults - This list encourages young adults to read for pleasure by presenting them with popular or topical books with teen appeal.
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers - Recreational reading that have wide appeal to teens who, for whatever reason, do not like to read.
- Amazing Audiobooks for Young Adults - Presents audiobooks released within the past two years that appeal to teens.
- Fabulous Films for Young Adults - Presents select films especially significant to young adults from those currently available for purchase based on a chosen theme.
- Teens' Top Ten - A teen choice award given to selected current publications that are of special interest to teens. Teens vote for their choices each Teen Read Week. The votes are tallied and the list is available each November.